Real Estate Auctions, Dealionaires, and Luxury Real Estate
Laura Alamery was born and raised in beautiful Vicenza, Italy – only 40 miles from lovely Venice on the Adriatic Sea.
In 1985 she relocated to United States, moving to Honolulu in 1987 where she became a college student at Hawaii Pacific University; just 4 miles from the beaches of Waikiki.
She began developing a keen interest in real estate, so she started reading everything she could find – watching late night infomercials and buying courses by Dave Del Dotto, Robert Allen and Carlton Sheets.
That same year she became a real estate agent to help pay for her college studies. She joined Dolman and Associates in Honolulu, and right away she was inspired by some of the top agents on the island. She began following their lead and in her first year in the industry, She became a multi-million dollar producer!
In 1991, Laura graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration and moved to Missouri that same year. Once on ‘the mainland,’ her real estate career really took off. She started to purchase properties with no money down using creative financing.
Laura continued her education by earning an MBA in Finance, still working part-time in real estate. Then she began a new career as an assistant controller in metal commodities, planning to climb the corporate ladder and keep real estate as a side business.
By the mid-1990s, Laura had already acquired a sizable portfolio (over 20 properties) consisting mostly of multi-families for rental income – and she was barely 30 years old! She was making more money in part-time real estate (less than 10 hours a week) than in her full-time corporate job, so in 1996 she decided to flip the switch and devote herself entirely to real estate. Once she was able to immerse herself full-time into real estate investing, her career skyrocketed.
In 1997, Laura began sharing her knowledge of real estate investing, proven strategies and creative financing techniques by hosting real estate seminars. And, given the widespread use of the Internet, she decided to also share her practical knowledge and experience as well via online mentoring and coaching. In 2010, she opened The REI Lab, Inc. – the culmination of various companies she had started and closed in the past.
With a love for laid back lifestyle and great weather (she really missed being near the water), Laura decided to relocate once more in May of 2015. This time the move was to Broward County, Florida; midpoint between Miami and Fort Lauderdale.
The Miami-Dade area is full of opportunities, and 59% of the real estate transactions there in 2016 were cash – more than twice the national average according to the National Association of Realtors!
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Who Laura studied as she was learning real estate investing and some great books she’s reading now
- How Laura uses real estate auctions to find properties, buyers, and private lenders
- The kinds of auctions that typically lend themselves to making the best connections and why it will vary by location
- Why buying properties at auctions might not be the best way to get properties in every location right now
- The challenges you will face when first attending real estate auctions (like breaking into the group of regular attendees)
- Why having an acquisition consultant to go to real estate auctions for you is priceless
- Why you need a mentor in real estate
- The four possible outcomes in real estate investing and which one you should focus on early on in your real estate career
- Laura’s private money made easy program
- Why Laura prefers in-person auctions over online auctions
- Why Laura is focusing on luxury real estate in 2017 and why she will move around through different kinds of real estate deals
- Why getting a real estate license isn’t necessarily the right move
- Why you need to keep yourself educated